“Mathematics is a creative and highly inter-connected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. It is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. A high-quality mathematics education therefore provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.” National Curriculum 2014
From April 2022, we use White Rose schemes of work to teach maths. Throughout each year, children will cover and build on their understanding in:
Knowing and using numbers
Addition and subtraction
Understanding the properties of shape
Multiplication and division
Describing position, direction and movement
Whilst our pupils learn the following essential characteristics of mathematics:
- An understanding of the important concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics;
- A broad range of skills in using and applying mathematics;
- Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system;
- The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including the new or unusual;
- The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges;
- To embrace the value of learning from mistakes and false starts;
- The ability to reason, generalise and make sense of solutions;
- Fluency in performing written and mental calculations and mathematical techniques;
- A wide range of mathematical vocabulary;
- A commitment to and enthusiasm in the subject.
Hit the Button – a maths game that is good for number bonds to 10, doubling, halving, multiplication and division
Numberblocks – sing along, learn all about numbers and develop key mathematical ideas with the BBC Numberblocks.
TopMarks – search for year 1 & 2 maths games.
ICT games – free online maths games.
Math playground – explore hundreds of maths games, logic puzzles and more!
Times Table Rockstars – an app/website for practising times tables (login details have been given to the children).
Squeebles – this is an app for spelling and maths.
Cloud Tables – this is an app for a times tables game.
White Rose Maths – videos, worksheets and answers for maths home learning.
BBC Bitesize Resources
|Fractions, percentages and ratio|
|Shapes and Movement|
|Maths in Context|
BBC School Radio - Podcasts
Maths quizzes for children aged 9 - 11 emphasising mental maths and problem solving.
Khan Academy Resources
|Grade 3 Maths Resources|
|Grade 4 Maths Resources|
|Grade 5 Maths Resources|
|Grade 6 Maths Resources|
Oxford Owl Maths
|Oxford Owl - Age 7-9|
|Oxford Owl Maths - Age 9-11|