What to do if a pupil is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19)
If anyone in your school becomes unwell with a new, continuous cough or a high
temperature, or has a loss of, or change in, their normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia),
they must be sent home and be advised to follow the guidance for households with possible
or confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) infection. This sets out that they must:
• self-isolate for at least 10 days
• arrange to have a test to see if they have coronavirus (COVID-19)
1. In an emergency, call 999 if they are seriously ill or injured or their life is at risk. Do
not visit the GP, pharmacy, urgent care centre or a hospital except in an emergency.
2. Call parents/legal guardian to collect pupil and take them home. Advise them that all
household members will need to isolate and refer them to the guidance for
households with possible or confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) infection.
3. While the pupil is awaiting collection, move them to an isolated room and open a
window for ventilation. If it is not possible to isolate them, move them to an area
which is at least 2 metres away from other people.
4. Staff caring for a pupil while they are awaiting collection should maintain 2 metre
distancing. If not possible, for example with a young child, they should wear suitable